The assessment can also be carried out for drivers who are in employed within an organization as a driving safety audit exercise for the organization to confirm that the drivers are fit and alert to drive. In addition , driving assessment is a sure way of identifying training needs for drivers.
The AA is renowned for carrying out driver assessments. Many candidates (drivers) are assessed by AA every month. The drivers are drawn from corporate organizations, Government parastatals/Ministries and private motorists. The assessment covers the following areas (and not limited to these areas):-
- Basic car care
- Vehicle control while on the road
- Driving in traffic and road Maneuvers
- Use of signals and observance of Road signs
- Approach to round abouts, junctions, and pedestrian crossing
- Knowledge of Highway code
- Attitude and Behaviour on road
- Defensive driving skills- alertness, anticipation etc
After the assessment, the AA prepares a report of findings which indicates the areas of strengths and weaknesses for each driver. The client organization may chose to organize for remedial lessons for drivers who fail the test. The AA uses its purpose made vehicles to carry out the assessments. The assessments can be done during the night or day depending on the clients choice.